CBD is taking the planet by storm, but what is it? You may have read about its amazing uses, but will it get you high?
What Is Cannabis?
We need to know what cannabis is before we can talk about CBD. It can get a little confusing. Because most people think that cannabis is a drug and it will get you high.
That’s not true.
There are multiple types of Cannabis sativa, and one of them is hemp, which doesn’t get you high.
That is because there are two possible active ingredients that can come from the Cannabis sativa plant: THC and CBD.
What Is THC?
THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the psychoactive part of the Cannabis sativa plant. That means it’s the mind-altering part. Hemp contains just 0.3% THC by definition, which is a tiny amount. The strains of cannabis that get you high can contain up to 28%, according to studies.
So when people use this type of cannabis ‘whole’ as it were, they get high because it contains THC, and some benefits include feeling more relaxed, pain-free and generally content. That’s why it is now used for medical reasons.
However, there can be some psychological dangers, which is the reason given by the authorities in many countries as to why they feel it is necessary to control cannabis use or ban it altogether. This is an ongoing debate and although some places have legalised the use of cannabis this debate has not been resolved.
The good news for anyone NOT interested in getting high is that CBD products have had all THC removed from them, or contain such small amounts that it’s impossible to get high by using them! That also makes them legal in most places.
To avoid any issues, make sure that you choose a high-quality product that has very low THC levels.
What is CBD And How Does it Work?
CBD is the non-psychoactive part of the cannabis plant. It stands for Cannabidiol. It supplies substances called cannabinoids that are already produced naturally by the body called endocannabinoids.
Endocannabinoids are molecules produced by your body as needed for the regulation of sleep, mood, appetite, memory, reproduction and fertility, as well as in maintaining metabolic and cardiovascular homeostasis. They are also involved in the pain reflex.
Endocannabinoid receptors are found throughout the body within the central nervous system and immune systems.
Scientists believe that the CBD binds onto the ECS receptors, therefore, altering the signals from and to the brain in things like pain, anxiety etc.
How CBD Can Boost Your Health
Here are just some of the benefits of CBD:
PAIN: It is thought that CBD has a beneficial effect on certain types of pain including nerve pain and back pain.
ANXIETY: CBD is often used as a relaxant and its use has been shown to improve certain anxiety disorders.
HEART HEALTH: Research has also shown that CBD may benefit your heart and could help reduce blood pressure and improve circulation(remember that in many serious health conditions, like strokes and heart attacks high blood pressure and poor circulation is often a contributory factor)
SLEEP: Studies have also shown that it can help maintain healthy sleep patterns.
How To Get CBDs Benefits
- The easiest and most common way is to simply put a few drops of CBD oil under your tongue, as per the maker’s instructions.
- You can get CBD vape liquid and pens, but please ensure you buy a pen and/or liquid from a reputable source as again the authorities have found some have illegal levels of THC and due to the composition of CBD, it has to be properly manufactured to be safely used in an e-cigarette form.
- You can also get CBD butter, which you use as per any regular butter and use it to make cakes, etc.
- Another product is CBD balm, this can be applied to the skin (where there are a lot of these receptors, I spoke about). It gives direct pain relief and is also known to be beneficial for certain skin conditions. and has the potential for lowering inflammation that can contribute to acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
- There are even now CBD shampoos, that are said by users to be the best shampoos on the market today. These are often formulated in conjunction with other natural oils and vitamins to produce some excellent shampoos.
We are super excited to have added CBD products to our health toolbox! And now we want to share the amazing benefits with you.
You can find our CBD products in the shop aqui.